All data are based on the daily closing price as of May 17, 2024

KADOKAWA and Kompas Gramedia Forge Alliance for Manga Publishing in Indonesia

New venture, PT PHOENIX GRAMEDIA INDONESIA, set to capitalize on Indonesia's robust youth market and growing manga interest
Japan
k 9468.TSE Mid and Small Cap 2000 Tech 350 Games 75 Anime 20
Share this on

KADOKAWA, a prominent Japanese media company, has partnered with Indonesia’s Kompas Gramedia Group to create PT PHOENIX GRAMEDIA INDONESIA. This new venture, established on January 5, 2024, marks a strategic expansion into the Indonesian market for publishing translated Japanese manga and light novels. KADOKAWA holds a majority 51% stake, while PT Gramedia Asri Media, a subsidiary of Kompas Gramedia, controls the remaining 49%.

Kompas Gramedia Group, a diversified conglomerate, is well-entrenched in various sectors including real estate, education, and broadcasting. Its publishing arm, Gramedia, is Indonesia’s largest, also operating a network of 123 bookstores. This extensive reach spans publishing, distribution, and retail, offering a robust platform for the new venture.

PT PHOENIX GRAMEDIA INDONESIA’s ambitions extend beyond mere translation. It plans to sell anime-related merchandise and manage a digital platform, primarily focusing on the manga, anime, and light novel sectors.

This move by KADOKAWA and Kompas Gramedia taps into Indonesia’s demographic potential, home to 270 million people, and a significant young population. The country’s increasing consumption of animation, comics, and games, especially Japanese works, presents a lucrative opportunity.

KADOKAWA has been aggressively expanding globally, especially in the entertainment arena. Following its ventures in Europe, Taiwan, and Thailand, the Indonesian market is its latest foray, leveraging its publishing expertise. This strategic push into Southeast Asia underscores KADOKAWA’s commitment to international growth, with PT PHOENIX GRAMEDIA INDONESIA poised as a pivotal player in its expanding global narrative.

Share this on
Jakota Newsletter

Stay ahead in the JAKOTA stock markets with our roundup of vital insights

Icon scroll to top